This information belongs to the Ministério Público in Portimão, Portugal.
It was released to the public on 4 August 2008 in accordance with Portuguese Law


22 to 24 Witness statement of Jeronimo Tomas Rodigues Salcedo (former Ocean Club worker) 2008.04.23


05-CARTAS ROGATORIA 5 Page 22 to 24



Occupation: Fitness Instructor

This statement, consisting of two pages, each signed by me, is true to the best of my knowledge and belief and I make it knowing that, if it is tendered in evidence, I shall be liable to prosecution if I have wilfully states in it anything I know to be false or do not believe to be true.

Date: Wednesday, 23 April 2008

I am the above referenced person who lives at the address previously given to this police. I am a Portuguese national and I am fluent in Portuguese and Spanish. I have lived in the U.K. with my parents since 10 year of age. Since leaving school, I have been employed in various roles but have never identified myself with any of them.

I still have various family in Portugal and in the beginning of 2007, I was in the U.K. and unemployed. I was contacted via email by my cousin Miguel COLLEO (I am not certain how his name is pronounced) and he informed me that he was working in the Algarve in Portugal as a barman/waiter in the Ocean Club resort in Praia da Luz, Portugal. I always liked the idea of working abroad and asked him if he could find me work. He responded and told me that he had found a position for me in this same area in which he worked.

I travelled from Bristol to Faro, Portugal, on the 26th of March of 2007. From Faro I travelled directly to Praia da Luz and lodged in an apartment rented with Miguel. Initially, his girlfriend also lived with us but before the end of April 2007, she returned to South Africa. The apartment was located close to the beach but I do not remember the address.

I began working as a functionary at the Ocean Club on the 4th of April 2007 and my charge was to serve the bar and the Tapas Bar tables. My hours were 16h00 to 24H00, five days per week and the two days off were rotated weekly. The other employees of the Tapas Bar on my schedule were Ricardo, Ze and Tiago?all of them Portuguese and with little knowledge of the English language. As a result of this, I was frequently called to attend British clients.

I remember being at work in the Tapas the night of the disappearance. I also remember the group of adults that holidayed with Madeleine, including the parents as they were frequent Tapas Bar dinner guests.

I would normally see them during the day if I went to the complex for a swim, or when they were going to get their children for lunch in the zone next to the Tapas. Nothing in their behaviour called my attention. They dined in the restaurant every night from Sunday until Thursday when Madeleine disappeared. The table was booked then for 19H30 to 20H00. It was nine adults in total, four couples and an older woman who was also with them. I always found them educated, good clients. They appeared to get along well amongst each other and each time I served the table they would comment on the food. It was a happy group who would often laugh during dinner. There was a man who particularly stood out from the rest of the group as she spoke a lot and told many jokes. At this time, I did not know who he was, but later found out it was Madeleine McCanns father. Frequently, when I served the table I noticed that one or two elements of the group had left the restaurant. I could not imagine where they had gone to. After seeing the news stories, I figured that they had gone to check on their children. On some occasions, I also saw some infant monitors on the same table but never related this to the facts.

In relation to alcohol consumption, it never appeared to me to be excessive. The wine was included in the dinner at Tapas and the functionaries were very generous in this respect. The permission was approximately one bottler per person . According to what I remember, and relative to the consumption of alcohol, there were seven bottles between the nine adults. I believe that on the first or second night they dined in the Tapas, they drank a bit more, perhaps eight or nine bottles of wine. I believe that they were also offered liquor this night, as they had been such good clients. The behaviour of the table did not change the night in questions. If anything, the group jested more than usual but no one appeared drunk.

Generally, they left the Tapas at 23h30/midnight, at times together and at other times in small groups. On the night in which they drank more than usual, they left a bit later, perhaps towards 00h30-01h00. I remember this detail because I was supposed to finish work at 00H00 and I wanted to go home. They always left on good terms and always wished the staff good night.

On the night Madeleine disappeared, everything appeared normal. I remember that when I took notice of the disappearance, I had been in the restaurant speaking with my two colleagues?Ze and Ricardo who were on break. I returned to the restaurant and noticed that the table of nine was empty with the exception of the older woman. I went over to the table and joked with her: ?They've left you alone?? She responded more of less with these words: ?No, they went to see if the little girl was there.? I responded that I hoped they would find her somewhere in the apartment. At saying this, I saw the man. Who I knew later to be Madeleines father, running to the pool and to the childrens play area in the Tapas zone as if looking for someone. It immediately hit me that after talking to the older woman, that the little girl had not been found. I offered to alert the workers at the Milenium Restaurant and the man agreed. He then left again running to continue searching. I believe that this was between 21H30 and 22H00 but do not remember with certainty.

I went to find Ze and Ricardo to give them the news and to get their help in searching for the missing girl. I saw the head of the Milenium Restaurant in the Tapas and asked him to telephone the restaurant.

I ran out of the Tapas and noticed that some of the childcare works of the Mark Warner had begun to arrive. At the point I left the Tapas I heard a scream from a woman I did not know. I do not know who screamed, but I had never heard a similar cry. I cannot even describe it but thought it had come from the child's mother. I went to the reception with one of the child care workers whose name I do not remember. One of the employees looked to be organizing the searches and told us the name of the child. We were sent to the beach zone and looked in all the alleys and called out the name of the child but did not find her. Later, we returned to the Tapas where we found John, the Manager of Mark Warner. There were many people now, perhaps 40 including the Mark Warner personnel. We were divided into groups and Ewan and Rob (both employed by Mark Warner), my cousin, Miguel, and I went in a Mark Warner vehicle to search a beach zone which included a construction site. Again, we did not see any signs of the child and after a telephone we returned to the Tapas.

At this point more people were at the location, including residents of Praia da Luz. A man named Matt who owned a club in the locale, seemed to now be the operational front. A big part of our group was sent to the beach; we formed a sort of human extension cord in our searches. We finally returned to the Tapas around 04H00. We were sent home at the time.

I do not know when the police were called but the first time I saw them was around 23h00-23h00 that night.

Since Madeleines disappearance, I have seen her picture many times in the media, but I cannot honestly affirm that I remember seeing her in person before the disappearance from the Ocean Club. There were many children and I never paid much attention to any of them.

I stayed in Praia da Luz working in the Tapas until the end of July 2007, at which time I returned to the U.K.

This statement was made by me and is true in accordance with my understanding.


Site Policy HOME PAGE Contact details