testimony of Joao Goncalves Viegas Jacinto]
Date: 21 May 2007; Time: 18h00; Place: DIC Portimao
On the matter in hand he said:
The deponent was the business partner of John Henry Queriol
Murat, from memory
in the period between 1972 and 1977 or 1976, in the partnership
Jacinto & Murat,
it being that they knew each other form 1967, the time when John
single acquired a house in Burgau which John later sold.
- Equally he recalls John having another business partnership
with himself and
another Englishman, called Burgau Investimentos Turisticos Lda.,
in which John
also sold his share a short time after the business was formed.
- When after 25 April 1974 John Murat went to England around
1975, he stayed
only in his rented house in Lagos, in Pedra Alcada, they still
- Later around 1977, no longer being in partnership, John
returned to Portugal,
sold the house in Lagos and invested in a small estate with old
Almadena, Eira Velha, which he improved.
- John, in the meantime died, from memory that was 1985, living
still at that
time in Eira Velha in Almadena.
- He states that John, when he knew him, was a man of few
and his wife J.A.Murat, equally not being a person of large
memory is that she was working in the Lagos Hospital as a nurse.
- The Murats had three children, Richard, Samantha and Robert
whom he knew when
they were growing up until around 1977, 1978, the time at which
company and John having gone to live in Almadena, contacts
between them were
- Relating to Robert,the deponent only knew him up to his eighth
year and he
was sure that his lack of memories of Robert and his personality
was due to John
Murat's strict rule of not allowing children into meetings that
- After this time at which Robert was about eight years old,
only once more did
he see him, about three or four months before (in 2007) when
Robert called out
"Jacinto" in the street, in Portuguese, and told him, in
greeting, he was Robert
Murat, affirming that he was still in Portugal working in real
- No other contact.
- Regarding the Quinta da Falfeira, this property was his and
currently his grand-daughter's, used by her son.
- Equally next to this property the deponent owns a house called
"Casa de Avis".
- He clarifies that Robert Murat never had access to those
properties and even
less to the key of any part of them, being very certain that he
frequented Quinta da Falfeira.
Nothing more said. Read, ratifies and will sign.